Monday 11 November 2013

Not going far

Sometimes I don't want to wander far. These next two scenes are only a few hundred metres from our chalet. Our village, whilst surrounded by stunning scenery, doesn't present many immediately 'paint me' moments. I have discovered from looking at other peoples painting and their subjects that a good painting doesn't necessarily need a pretty view. That is a direction I need to follow more. I made a start this week by painting a rather unpromising looking public convenience (see "very convenient" two posts back).



This little chapel is very pretty, but finding a good viewpoint isn't so easy as it surrounded by typically French buildings, which don't always comply with our expectations of what you would find in an alpine village. (Diplomacy speak here).
I can't remember what it is called! I will fill that in later but I always think of it as
La Chapelle des Granges.
Oils on board
8x10"



And this is a relatively modern chalet just up from the shops, I pass regularly on my way home from doing retail related jobs
Chalet l'Orchis
Oils on board
8x10"


You may notice that most of my plein air oils are 8" x 10". That is because my pochard box, that carries my kit, has slots that carry wet paintings. I occasionally go out with slightly larger supports, especially if I have a car available and I can lay the wet painting down flat in the boot, but mostly I am on foot, or on my bike, which makes carrying a wet oil painting a bit fraught!


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Pralognan la Vanoise

No comments:

Post a Comment