Saturday 23 November 2013

Historic Houses Galore

The stuff of dreams and television programmes. Historic Castle Howard is the family seat of the Howard family, who still live there, and has been used for location shooting for Brideshead revisited in 2007. I was definitely born in the wrong era.




It is hard to find a good view point of the house from the grounds. The Vanbrough building is immense and overpowering close up but from across the lake the vistas are delightful.
I found a spot where I could have painted from the shelter of my car as it was raining gently when I arrived, but I didn't think oil paint on the upholstery would be appreciated. Happily the forecast proved correct, it faired up and the sun even peeped through on occasions.
The sky changed from dramatic to plain to pretty then back again as quick as a wink. When one appears that you like you have to drop everything to get the sky in before it changes again.
The distant autumn colours came to life when the sun came out. It is hard not to go with the strength of colour, but I was happy with the soft mistyness that was appearing on my canvas.

I like this 8x10" format. I can cover the canvas within my 2 hours allotted time. Hopefully as I do more I will speed up so 10x12 and bigger with be within my time frame, but for now 10x12 is for warmer days and any bigger is for the studio.


Occasional sunlight, Castle Howard.
Oils on canvas board
8x10"


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Castle Howard, North Yorkshire

No comments:

Post a Comment