Saturday 23 November 2013

n-n-n-Nunnington

First time out in the really chilly weather this autumn. I have driven past the gateway into the lovely National Trust property Nunnington Hall, only 6 miles from where we live, lots of times and thought what a nice plein air subject it would make, so on a promising day last week I set off.
I failed to take into consideration how cold it would be standing behind a huge pine tree which shaded me from the sun, so only managed to map out the composition and block in the basic tones before I had to retreat to thaw out.

Wet and miserable for the next few days, but eventually a day dawned with a forecast of sun after 11.00am. Off I trotted, albeit a little earlier in the day, but I preferred the mid day light as it cast more shadows. I quickly adjusted the light source on the original and painted on as quickly as I could muster. The sun remained resolutely behind the same tree, and this time there was a heavy frost on the ground for the whole day.
I managed to finish to my satisfaction and went home to peel off the gazillion layers I was wearing. At least I now know how much to wear to combat the cold, and also that it's best to choose simple subjects. This one was made a bit easier because the under painting was dry when I went back for the second attempt.

I am trying to restrict myself to two hours per painting, and this one came in at that, despite being in two one hour sessions.





Autumn afternoon Nunnington Hall
Oils on canvas board
8x10"



Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:A170,Beadlam,United Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment