Tuesday 21 August 2012

Chocolate anyone?

I am not a natural blogger so I constantly have to remind myself to update here.  I sometimes feel it is a waste of time because I have only three followers, but I hope others do occasionally come across it.  In reality it is more for a permanent record of my progress, or lack of it, currently in the plein air field, but more generally of my artistic journey.

We have lived in Thornton le Dale for four years now, almost next door to the most painted cottage in all of North Yorkshire.
The path where you need to stand to get a good view is swarming with people, admiring the view and enjoying the delightful quintessential cottage garden in front of the cottage, but it makes it a hard task to concentrate on making a painting.

I got the initial drawing badly wrong; never a good start, but the light soon disappeared behind the wall so I had to retreat, armed with a photograph.  As soon as I got home I could see the error of my ways and was able to correct, and finish the painting quite quickly, but it is much harder in a studio situation to be generous with the brush strokes.
The limitations of time are removed and everything becomes much more considered.  I prefer being surrounded by lots of fresh air and little time to consider, even if one does have to take on board the onlookers and the facile comments (although I am sure most are well intentioned, I don't think people realise how much you need to concentrate)

Beck Cottage, Thornton le Dale
oil on board
10x8"


No comments:

Post a Comment