Saturday 4 August 2012

Babbling brooks





From high up in the mountains above Pralognan the glacier melt babbles down towards the village, passing on its way a few summer hamlets. Les Prioux is one of these, and from below you can just see the roofs peeping over the hillside.
It was a lovely day but the sneaky wind meant I had to wear my husbands old sailing jacket over my shorts to keep warm. Everyone else was in full summer gear, but when you are standing still it can be chilly up high.

I am still in oil mode. This one is painted on a beige linen canvas glued to an archival board. I really like the surface to work on. I am now only using six colours plus white, it certainly makes my pack lighter to carry. I have abandoned my chair, I find oil painting easier from a standing position, but still need to carry my tripod, pochade box and an umbrella. Without the umbrella to shade the canvas it distorts the way you see colour and the finished paintings get very dark (or at least mine do!). The difficulty when it is windy is to prevent the umbrella being blown away, together with your setup. Oh the problems of being a plein air artist!

Vers les Prioux
Oils on canvas
30x30cms


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment