Sunday 21 August 2011

Painting faces


My mum has come to visit in the mountains.  It is very hot which makes painting at altitude very tiring so we have been sitting in the shade of the awning on our terrace painting faces.  

My favourite medium for these is pastel, and due to the small size of the works I find pastel pencils ideal.  My biggest problem is keeping the image fresh.  The temptation is to go back in again and again, perfecting, adjusting and generally fiddling.  
I like to be able to see the pastel strokes and the texture of the support, but I do like to get a decent likeness (for me it a portrait isn't worth it's weight in paper if it isn't recogniseable, although there is a huge gulf between being recogniseable and achieving a good likeness!

This is my niece Alyssa, my brother's eldest daughter, aged 7.  She lives in California and will make a perfect Prom Queen in due course.


Alyssa
Pastel on Ingres paper
21 x 28 cms

No comments:

Post a Comment