Saturday 6 August 2011

Les Prioux - a summer hamlet

Les Prioux
This hamlet is only accessible in the summer, it is a favourite spot for taking a leisurely lunch in one of the delightful restaurants or a gentle stroll up the mountain tracks.  There are loads of quite taxing hiking routes around, but also a good selection of easier options, and it is easily accessible by car.
The old stone chalets have mainly been refurbished and are used for holidays.  The brown building at the front left is a mazot, a traditional french shed or barn.  The wood is that deep brown colour because it has been burnt by the sun and has no other protection,  the ones in this village are in remarkably good condition.

My first attempt at this painting, yesterday in the sunshine, was a bit of a disaster. I made some amendments to it when I got home, which is never a good plan as it often destroys the freshness of the original.  Watercolour painting is a real 'one shot' affair.

So in good time honoured tradition I gave it a second shot today.  
The weather was a bit murky so I climbed up into my eerie, armed with the original painting done on location, a photographic reference and a well thumbed copy of a book of watercolour paintings of the mountains round here by an artist who's work I really admire  http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/images/284206271X/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=301061&s=books

I don't think my job looks anything like his (I suspect 'robust' is an adjective I would apply to mine, whereas 'subtle and sensitive' would be more appropriate for Mantis' work),  but I love the way he uses colour and I did find it helpful having something to refer to that I liked rather than my original, which I thoroughly disliked.

I am pleased to say I am happier with the result than I was yesterday.

watercolour on hot pressed paper
35 x 25 cms





No comments:

Post a Comment