Saturday 6 August 2011

Back up the Hill

I like this spot.  I can get there in the car so I can take all my equipment and make myself comfortable.  This is my first watercolour of the summer here in the Vanoise National Park despite having been here two weeks already.  Up to now the summer has been more like an English one, so I have been working inside.  It is nice to get out though now the weather seems to have broken.  

This is on a popular route up the mountain and there is a pleasant lunch stop at the top of the hamlet. The grass is a ski slope in the winter and I would be mowed down by skiers if I were to set up there in the snow.
I think there are some other versions of this scene further back, but as a familiar spot it is a good one for a warm up painting.  

It is watercolour in a sketchbook and has a grubby mark in the sky where I was impatient and rubbed the paper before it was dry, so it will stay in the sketchbook and I will do another version at a later date.

I was here last summer on foot, and walking down admiring the view I tumbled carrying all my kit, broke my right thumb and made a real mess of my elbow, which put my out of contact with paintbrushes for six weeks until it all healed.  Moral = watch your footings, never mind the view!

30 x 20 cms
watercolour on rough paper

No comments:

Post a Comment