Tuesday 8 July 2014

Waiting for a (very high) tide

I recently spent some time in Somerset staying with my daughter.  Naturally I had to get out to paint and explore.  Most of what I did doesn't bare sharing, but this little painting I felt was more successful.
I went to Framingham Quay, in Devon.  An interesting spot, almost opposite Appledore.  It has been developed in a touristy way, but is nonetheless worthy of a visit for its little museum, good tea room and bike rides (you can hire bikes on the spot too).

The tide goes well out, and in one of the tributaries it left a deep cut where it has washed the mud to the sides.  I found a quiet spot and painted a boat pulled so far up it would need a major spring tide to float again.  There were lots of really tatty vessels waiting for tlc, but this one had a certain workmanlike quality to it.
I really enjoyed the negative painting of the trees on the far bank, and chose to omit the frankly unattractive industrial unit on the other side of the river.  A thing that is easy for artists, but less so for conservationists!

Waiting for the tide  10x12" oils on canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment