Monday 14 July 2014

Blooming Heather

The heather is coming into bloom on the North Yorkshire Moors above where we live. Bransdale is the start of a large expanse of wild and exposed moorland.  This is the last house, beyond here the trees are sparse and only thrive in the sheltered hollows.

The last time I painted here, in February, on my birthday, the phone rang just as I was putting the sketch onto my board.  I had to rush home to take my poor husband to hospital, so I was hopeful that it wouldn't ring this time.  Happily it remained silent.  It was warm everywhere else, but a little chilly up on the moors.

I am continuing in my quest to apply more paint to the canvas, and consciously to brighten my paintings.  I suffer in the bright light from producing dark paintings.  Hopefully the awareness of that tendency will enable me to adjust my colours to make them brighter when I get home into a less harsh light.

Moorend Bransdale 30x24cms oils on canvas

I took advice from a Facebook colleague about photographing my finished paintings.  I was having issues with light reflecting off the raised parts of the thick paint.
She suggested putting the painting on the floor outside, but not in direct sunlight, then standing facing the direction of the sun, aim the camera straight down, and shoot. The gamma did need adjusting afterwards, but there are no random highlights bouncing of the tops of the paint strokes.  Thanks Annemarie (find her here:  http://www.artannemarie.com )



Post posting note:  I have fiddled endlessly with the foreground patch of heather. 
My issues: not to make it too dark (my nemesis); to give it more colour rather than overmixed mud; to keep the strokes simple and unfussy.  Normally when I add the signature that is a mental stop point for me, but this time I had to keep going. I hope now I have acheived my objective.  Time to move on.....

I

No comments:

Post a Comment