Friday 22 October 2010

Tuscan Tree Studies

Trees are something that painters love or hate.  All that green, all those shapes, in watercolour I have devised my own method of approach, but in oils ???  I am more accustomed to painting light clours first, then darks, but to work totally in reverse really gave me brain ache. (Or maybe it was the wine at lunch)
So today was a day of tree studies.  Sessile oaks, Pines of every description, Olive groves. So much to choose from. And it rained. Very hard.
My first choice was a huge Sessile Oak. It was hard enough to get a clear view from ar away enough to fit onto a small piece of paper.
After lunch the sun made a brief appearance and I chose a tree perched precariously on the top of a cliff that I could paint from the cover of a nearby shelter in case the rain came back with a vengeance.
Sessile Oak Study
Wooded Cliff
Oils on paper 20x20cms
My paintings are always for sale.  If you are interested please email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment