Monday 23 August 2010

Barmettes mountain refuge



This is a painting of one of the mountain refuges, at Barmettes approx 2000 metres. It is at the top of one of the ski lifts so in winter it is easily accessible for skiers.
It has a stunning backdrop of the Aiguille de Vanoise, and the Grande Casse behind.
In the summer it is a serious uphill climb, but at the height of the season the lift opens for three days a week. I caught the very last opportunity to lift up as I would have had difficulty hiking up there with my painting kit.
I sat in the middle of the piste to paint, but happily there were no skiers rushing downhill at breakneck speed. Just a few curious hikers.
On the day I was painting there was a race going on - 68 kms with a total rise of 3800 metres. The runners started at 5 am, and the leading runner came past about 2 pm. Huffing and puffing, but still running!!

Watercolour on Arches paper. Approx 31x23 cms.
My paintings are always for sale. Please email me if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment