Saturday 14 July 2012

Veg patch overlooking the sea, won't need added salt.

I spent a great day in Runswick Bay, north of Whitby, today. I had always thought it was Yorkshire but the satnav said Cleveland. So I looked it up. Cleveland was a non metropolitan county set up in 1974 and set down in 1996 so my satnav is seriously out of date. Anyhow I got there without problems.

After having coffee with my fellow group members and watching a splendid watercolour demo by Robert Brindley, my eye was taken by a small potager overlooking the sea. That was my subject for the day. Luckily the rain held off and the light remained bright although the sun was very fleeting but at least it meant I didn't spend the day chasing shadows.

My task was to paint with a limited palette, using a warm and a cool version of each primary plus white (I will own up to the occasional addition of some Permanent Mauve primarily for the buddleia in front of the house but also echoed in the fruit of the palm tree). My second objective was to simplify my strokes and not let the detail become overwhelming.
It is still wet so is sitting in my wet panel carrier - hence the wooden surround, but I think it will look good in a plain wooden frame.
I will leave it up to you to decide how successful I have been!

Veg patch Runswick Bay
Oils on canvas on board
10 x 8"






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment